[rhelv5-list] Persistent naming for eth devices

Hi
I am having some trouble with a HP GL360 server with an onboard network
card that sometimes is eth0 and eth1 and sometimes eth2 and eth3.
I am unsure how to get Redhat to consistently have eth0 be the same eth0
it was before.

Redhat has automatically added aliases in modprobe.conf
alias eth0 bnx2
alias eth1 bnx2
alias eth2 e1000
alias eth3 e1000

However this gets ignored or does not work as expected.

According to the bonding driver documentation I can add the following to
ifcfg-bond0

BONDING_MODULE_OPTS="mode=active-backup miimon=100"

However I it does not work and I have to put these options in
/etc/modprobe.conf. I am guesing the up down scripts for networking does
not read this...

I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to get persistence in eth
device naming when booting up.

Regards