Re: [rhelv5-list] named/BIND data file syntax; moving from Solaris 9 to RHEL5

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 3:16 PM, Tim Evans <tkevans tkevans com> wrote:
> We have been running Sun's Solaris 9 BIND (reported as version 8.3.3) for some
>  years and are retiring the old hardware.  However, we came across an apparent
>  syntax issue in moving the RHEL's BIND.
>
>  Here's a piece of the old data file:
>
>  oldmail            IN      A       192.168.9.2
>                 IN      MX      100     mail

There are major differences between 8.x and 9.x in handling stuff. 8
was a bit loser in RFC checking and 9 is much more. MX records have to
point to A records and not CNAMES. 8 would allow CNAMES to act as A's
in various ways but the RFC did not allow it and 9 cracked down.

Hope that helps.