Re: [rhelv5-list] exported directories

On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 15:06 +0100, solarflow99 wrote:
> I am curious if there is a generally accepted convention for exported
> shares.  For instance say you had both NFS and samba shares, would you
> put the files under /exports/share1.. and /samba/share1..,
> or /exports/nfs/share1.., and /exports/samba/share1.. ?

I usually put mine under /data/, but as far as I am aware, there is no
convention.

The data on our servers is wherever it normally is for that type of data
- i.e. the generally accepted /export/home for home
directories, /var/www/html/ for web pages etc.

We then export those things by Samba/NFS/Whatever. We don't choose our
mount locations by what protocol they are shared by, because that
precludes sharing something via two protocols.

Sometimes we have semi-conventions to make it obvious where things are
coming *from* (local disk partitions as /local/data whereas SAN
presentations are /san/data, NFS as /nfs/data) but never mount things
based on how they will be shared.

--
Sam