[rhelv5-list] Lines added to modprobe.conf

Hi

The installer adds these lines to modprobe.conf when installing:

An IBM 336:

alias scsi_hostadapter mptbase

alias scsi_hostadapter1 mptspi

alias scsi_hostadapter2 ata_piix

IBM334:

alias scsi_hostadapter aic79xx

alias scsi_hostadapter1 ips

alias scsi_hostadapter2 ata_piix

HP GL 360:

alias scsi_hostadapter cciss

alias scsi_hostadapter1 ata_piix

What is the practical application of these aliases? I am deploying a custom modprobe.conf file and having 3 different architectures complicates things somewhat. I just need to know how much effort needs to go into preserving these aliases.

It might only be for convenience sake or it might be used by certain software. Doing quick tests removing the entries completely have not shown and adverse effects. However I did not test thoroughly at all.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.