[rhelv5-list] Odd bash behaviour with 5.2 update

I am not sure exactly what has caused the change but bash is acting
differently after updating to 5.2

For a local user with local password (root, joeblow) the user is able
to login without any problems or errors.
For a user that gets authenticated via ldap I am now getting a series
of 'errors' and commands not working.

-bash: [: =: unary operator expected
-bash: [: -le: unary operator expected
-bash: [: ==: unary operator expected

the errors come when bash tries to run commands in /etc/profile and
/etc/profile.d/* with $() or `` as in
[ `/usr/bin/id -u`=0 ] and `/usr/bin/id -u` does not run.

If I create a user locallly it runs ok. I looked in selinux logs to
see if it was being stopped for some reason (nope). turned off selinux
rebooted and still bash acted funny.

the local user with /home/testluser works fine... but accounts not in
/home are not workign for some reason.. /nfs/home for example.

Downgrading to bash-3.1.16 removed the issue.

Is there something I missed obvious before I enter a bugzilla on this?

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux