Re: [rhelv5-list] Xen issues with 5.1 to 5.2 update

Try updating to the latest kernel-xen,

-- Robin

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 1:26 PM, Matthias Saou <thias spam spam spam spam spam spam spam egg and spam freshrpms net> wrote:
Hi,

I assume this is again due to the Xen version rebase, same as with the
5.0 to 5.1 update : After updating a Xen server (dom0) to RHEL 5.2
without rebooting on the newer kernel, some Xen related operations
start to fail.

Currently, I'm unable to start any guests (domU), and the behavior is
not really helpful : "xm create -c foo" just hangs for a while and
exits with the error :

Error: Device 0 (vif) could not be connected. Hotplug scripts not
working.

In the xend-debug.log I have these two lines :

sysctl operation failed -- need to rebuild the user-space tool set?
sysctl operation failed -- need to rebuild the user-space tool set?

In the xend.log everything seems normal except the block devices :

DEBUG (blkif:24) exception looking up device number for xvda: [Errno 2]
No such file or directory: '/dev/xvda'
DEBUG (blkif:24) exception looking up device number for xvdb: [Errno 2]
No such file or directory: '/dev/xvdb'

This is quite annoying, as it causes problems which might go undetected
for months (years?) and will bite at the worst possible moment : When a
guest crashes and needs to be restarted...

I wouldd really like to see some improvements to Xen is backwards
compatibility regarding the kernel/userspace duo in dom0, as to "fix"
this issue, if a reboot isn't possible (as other critical domUs might
be running), a simple downgrade of the userspace xen tools might do the
trick. So how hard would it be for the new tools to have the old
behaviour if the old kernel is found?

FWIW this is a server running 2.6.18-53.1.14.el5xen x86_64 and always
fully updated with the latest available RHEL5 updates. It's currently
running 11 domUs.

Matthias

Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) - Linux kernel 2.6.24.5-85.fc8
Load : 0.36 0.16 0.21