Re: [rhelv5-list] [SOLVED] nVidia display issues after switch from 5.1 to 5.2

Gah! As usual, as soon as I start to raise a fuss about it, the solution magically pops up in Google.

In this case, the problem was with the Xorg config. In 5.1, this line in xorg.conf worked fine:

[skaven test4550-1 ~]$ grep Rgb /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    RgbPath    "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"

In 5.2, it does not.  This works instead:

[skaven kolga001 ~]$ grep Rgb /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    RgbPath    "/usr/share/X11/rgb"

Paul Krizak                         7171 Southwest Pkwy MS B400.2A
Advanced Micro Devices              Austin, TX  78735
Linux/Unix Systems Engineering      Desk:  (512) 602-8775
Silicon Design Division             Cell:  (512) 791-0686

Paul Krizak wrote:
I've also posted a summary of this issue on the nVidia linux support forum: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=113845

Basically, everything on my workstation (with a QuadroFX 1700 video card) worked fine until I reinstalled it with 5.2. Now all of my xterms show up like the attached pictures.

Important to note is that the *only* change was the change from 5.1 to 5.2. It's the same hardware, same home directory, same OS configuration (we use cfengine to ensure configurations are identical), same everything.

It was working on Thursday when I logged out of my system with 5.1 on it, and broke when I came back on Tuesday after reinstalling 5.2.

The latest nVidia driver does not solve the issue.

I have not done any testing yet to see if this problem exists on other video cards, such as ATI cards or other nVidia cards (such as the NVS290 we use in some other systems).

I'll also note that this problem looks and feels exactly like what 5.1 would do if you used the X environment under Xen, i.e logged into the console of Dom0. So it may be a similar issue, or could possibly be related to some code changes surrounding the Xen re-base.

Any body else having these problems?