[rhelv5-list] What's up with 179 package update

Hello,

I have been getting a message of a security update with 179 packages.

I am surprised by the huge number of updates.  Is this a new version of EL5?

I am concerned that with such an update, my system may become unstable.  How can I revert to a previous known state?

If there is a place where I can find these answers, just point me to it (search keywords are fine too).

Thank you,

Mirko