Date: Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 11:19 AM
Subject: Re: [rhelv5-list] why avahi?
<rhelv5-list redhat com>

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 9:45 AM, Kenton Brede  wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 7:45 AM, Tris Hoar wrote:
>> That begs the question as to why is CUPS installed on a server OS by
>> default? We have never had cause to print form any of the servers and if we
>> do we know how to install CUPS ourselves. (This applies just as much to
>> Bluetooth. Does any one have a server that has Bluetooth hardware? And if
>> they do, do they use/need support built into the OS by default for it?)
>
> I agree, it's a server OS and I exclude 50-60 packages during the
> kickstart install.  Some of the packages I can see maybe leaving in
> but CUPS, Bluetooth, Wireless......?  There should be a base install

This comes up over and over again. You can kickstart with the nobase
option. However, the note on the CentOS wiki is absolutely true:
"This won't work unless you know what you're doing"
http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/KickStart
I'd applaud any efforts to get a good minimal install that is actually
useful, but it is pretty tricky to do. Almost anything will pull in large
packages like python and perl. If you've got those, you might as well
pull in LSB stuff... or alternatively abandon RHEL and use something
like ttylinux (which is, by the way, what VMWare does with its free
Converter app; the ISO is in Program Files after you install it).

This also came up in the Fedora on XO project. It's minimal hardware,
so you want to run the fewest services possible. But obviously you need
networking (wireless) ... and what about people that actually want to
connect to NFS shares, use a bluetooth keyboard out-of-the-box,
etc.?