Re: [rhelv5-list] Dovecot (Fatal: listen(995) failed: Address already in use ...

Joshua Daniel Franklin wrote:
On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 6:47 AM, Tim Evans wrote:
It seems the portmapper (starting up prior to dovecot) handed out port 995
to rpc.statd (lsof and rpcinfo confirmed this).  Subsequent attempts to
start dovecot resulted in the same message.

This also came up on the recent "portmap vs cups" thread. Sounds like
it is an occasional problem, but apparently not important enough for paying
customers to escalate to find a solution. Actually I bet most paying
customers are using /etc/sysconfig/nfs for static port assignments.

There's a problem in glibc which nobody is willing to fix. I don't recall the details, but I'm one of those in the discussion.

_I_ am using /etc/sysconfig/nfs to tie things down so I can use NFS through a firewall.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait