Re: [rhelv5-list] Ipv6 client requests

Hi all,

unfortunately this has no effect on AAAA requests. Note that there are no
ipv6 connection, the connection made to my bind servers are ipv4 but
requests are AAAA

--
Igor GENIBEL
Pôle I&A

             Steve Grubb
             <sgrubb redhat co
             m>                                                          A
                                       rhelv5-list redhat com
             01/07/2009 15:44                                           cc
                                       Igor GENIBEL <igenibel macif fr>
                                                                     Objet
                                       Re: [rhelv5-list] Ipv6 client
                                       requests

On Wednesday 01 July 2009 03:56:56 am Igor GENIBEL wrote:
> I noticed a quite large amount of ipv6 requests (AAAA) on my DNS server
> while my linux boxes have ipv6 disabled (alias net-pf-10 off, alias ipv6
> off in /etc/modprobe.conf and NETWORKING_IPV6=no in
> /etc/sysconfig/network).

Turns out that when a IPv6 connection comes along, the kernel loads the
module
and handles it. You have to disable the ipv6 kernel module to stop these.

> How can I disable these requests (which represent about a quarter of
whole
> linux boxes requests) ?

I put a simple hardening guide for RHEL5 here a while back:

http://people.redhat.com/sgrubb/files/hardening-rhel5.pdf

It covers disabling IPv6 among other things.

-Steve