[rhelv5-list] RHEL-v5.x OS Installation

Hi Folks,

I am testing installing RHEL 5.x OS on a sun hardware Sun Fire-x4200 system. It has 4 internal drives and I have setup a mirror raid volume using disks in Slot-0 and 1, disks in slot-2 and 3 are left as it is. I am installing RHEL-v5.x OS on this hardware using kickstart process. I am able install the OS fine but apparently I am seeing that OS is not installed on the mirror raid volume, instead its installing on disk in Slot-2. I believe this is happening because disks in Slot-2 and 3 are probed first and then mirrored raid volume. In the kickstart profile I have mentioned install disk to be 'sda' in kickstart profile hoping that mirrored raid volume is probed first and assigned 'sda' device ID by OS which apparently is not happening.

I  have tested the same by Installing RHEL-v4.x and see that mirrored raid volume is picked up first and remaining disks later. So here the OS is installed as expected.  From this I understand that probing has changing with RHEL-v5.x compared to RHEL-v4.x.

After installing OS on the hardware platform I am testing Bare Metal Restore recovery process and I see that with version 5.x OS, during the BMR recovery process, BMR is creating filesystem on /dev/sda (independent disk) and grub is loading boot loader on /dev/sdc (mirrored raid volume).

Creating swap filesystem on /devAdding 16779884k swap on /dev/sda3.  Priority:-1 extents:1 across:16779884k
/sda3
Activating swap device /dev/sda3
Creating ext3 filesystem on /dev/sda5
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3 FS on sda5, internal journal
Creating ext3 filesystem on /dev/sda6
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3 FS on sda6, internal journal
Creating ext3 filesystem on /dev/sda7
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3 FS on sda7, internal journal
Creating ext3 filesystem on /dev/sda1
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3 FS on sda1, internal journal
Creating ext3 filesystem on /dev/sda2
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3 FS on sda2, internal journal
Restoring / file system ...
Restoring /opt file system ...
Restoring /var file system ...
Restoring /appl file system ...
Restoring /boot file system ...
Installing GRUB boot loader onto /dev/sdc

Bare Metal Restore is complete.
Press ENTER to reboot system :

Can anyone please help me resolve the issue with version 5.x OS install to pick proper disk.

Thank you,
AN