[rhelv5-list] Change in "yum list" wildcard behavior

I've just noticed a strange difference in a couple systems I was
working on this past week.

The output of a wildcarded "yum list" command seems to have changed
dramatically.

Below is the output of a couple samples.  What you see is from a fully
updated system.  The issue is, on a fresh install of RHEL5U4 the
output of the first command LOOKS like the output of the second.
Also, by strict definition of the second command listed below
(*kernel-*) yum should not even list the "kernel.*" packages!!

To me, wildcard searches have been "broken".......

[root NAS ]# yum list kernel*  <- this command
Installed Packages
kernel.x86_64
2.6.18-164.2.1.el5
       installed
kernel.x86_64
2.6.18-164.6.1.el5
       installed
kernel.x86_64
2.6.18-164.11.1.el5
       installed

[root NAS ]# yum list kernel-*  <- USED to give this kind of output
(which is erroneous for the syntax searched!)
Installed Packages
kernel.x86_64
 2.6.18-164.2.1.el5
installed
kernel.x86_64
 2.6.18-164.6.1.el5
installed
kernel.x86_64
 2.6.18-164.11.1.el5
installed
kernel-headers.x86_64
 2.6.18-164.11.1.el5
installed
kernel-xen.x86_64
 2.6.18-164.2.1.el5
installed
kernel-xen.x86_64
 2.6.18-164.6.1.el5
installed
kernel-xen.x86_64
 2.6.18-164.11.1.el5
installed
Available Packages
kernel-debug.x86_64
 2.6.18-164.11.1.el5
rhel-x86_64-server-5
kernel-debug-devel.x86_64
 2.6.18-164.11.1.el5
rhel-x86_64-server-5
kernel-devel.x86_64
 2.6.18-164.11.1.el5
rhel-x86_64-server-5
kernel-doc.noarch
 2.6.18-164.11.1.el5
rhel-x86_64-server-5
kernel-xen-devel.x86_64
 2.6.18-164.11.1.el5
rhel-x86_64-server-5

Does anyone else have a couple of old -vs- new systems they can
validate this on?

Don