Re: [rhelv5-list] RHEL5 kickstart minimalist samples

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 15:40, Musayev, Ilya <imusayev webmd net> wrote:

I’m in process of creating a new kickstart file, as always, I would like to use the minimalistic approach for RHEL5 and RHEL6.

Would anyone suggest a minimal kickstart with essentials for server builds?

I know how to customize kickstart, I’m looking for samples I can use as reference.

So here is a fairly generic base i've come up with

things it does:

- sha512 password encryption by default
  - has a snippet for generating a root password in sha512
- a bit on how to add grub password if interested
- disables quite a few default services
- installs a small set of packages over @core and @base
   - important features like: ntp, ext4
   - diag tools like: nmap, strace, sysstat, kexec-tools
   - admin utilities: screen, yum-utils,
   - remote X capability: xorg-X11-xauth
- removes all 32bit packages for a pure 64bit system (multilib can be helpful, but if you aren't gonna use it .. meh)

Several bits have been commented out, and there are some notes.  RHEL 6 requires the %end tag on the scriplet section I believe.. they're commented out in this one.