[rhelv6-announce] Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.9 GA Announcement

Tue Jan 8 18:47:14 UTC 2013

Today, Red Hat announced the general availability of the next minor
release of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.9.

We continue to work with our partners, customers and the open source
community to deliver technology that is tested and stable – and Red Hat
Enterprise 5.9 illustrates that ongoing commitment.  This release marks
the beginning of Production Phase 2 of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5,
demonstrating the company's continued effort to promote stability and
the preservation of customers' investments.  The Red Hat Enterprise
Linux 10-year lifecycle provides stability for customers who wish to
remain on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 until they are ready to migrate to
a newer version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux [1].

This release includes new functionality in the areas of virtualization,
security, and networking; new support for standards and certifications;
and enhancements to certificate-based Red Hat Subscription Management.
New drivers for Microsoft Hyper-V enable customers to run Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 5.9 as a virtual guest on Hyper-V with improved
performance.  Also included in this release are additions to
capabilities for developers as well as support for our hardware partners
that take advantage of the latest performance enhancements.

Key functionality in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.9 includes:

Enhanced Hardware Enablement
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.9 showcases Red Hat's strong relationships
with industry-leading hardware vendors. This minor release contains
support for the latest CPU, chip set, and device driver enhancements
from leading hardware vendors.

Continued Commitment to Security, Standards, and Certifications
Red Hat Enterprise Linux has always been built with security in mind – a
commitment that Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.9 helps solidify. This update
features tighter security controls, the ability to verify and check the
robustness of new passwords, and support for the latest government
password policy requirements. It also adds support for using Federal
Information Processing Standard (FIPS) mode with dmraid root devices.
FIPS mode now supports RAID device discovery, RAID set activation, and
the creation, removal, rebuilding, and displaying of properties.

New Developer Tools
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.9 includes several new developer-friendly
features and tools, including the ability to develop and test with the
latest version of open source Java available through OpenJDK 7. Many new
SystemTap improvements have been added to Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.9,
including compile-server and client support for IPv6 networks, smaller
SystemTap files, faster compiles, and compile server support for
multiple concurrent connections.

Enhanced Application Support
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.9 includes a new rsyslog5 package that
upgrades rsyslog to major version 5. The rsyslog5 package runs faster
and is more reliable than existing rsyslog packages. Samba has been
updated to version 3.6. New features include fully featured SMB2
support, a reworked print server, and security default improvements for
all versions of Samba.

New Virtualization Capabilities and Flexibility in Multi-vendor Environments
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.9 enhances the operating system's usability
in multi-vendor environments by introducing Microsoft Hyper-V drivers
for improved performance.  This enhances the usability of Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 5 for guests in a heterogeneous, multi-vendor
virtualized environment and provides improved flexibility and
interoperability for our customers.

Enhanced Red Hat Subscription Management
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.9 uses Red Hat Subscription Management as the
default, allowing customers to effectively and more easily manage their
Red Hat Enterprise Linux subscriptions locally or with tools such as
Subscription Asset Manager which was enhanced to easily run reports on
subscription distribution and utilization and an improved user
interface.  For more detail on how Red Hat customers can manage their
subscriptions, please visit the Subscription Management section of the
Red Hat Customer Portal.

Although Red Hat Enterprise Linux will remain stable with only bug and
security fixes during Production Phase 2 of its life cycle [1], we
encourage our Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 customers to consider upgrading
to Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 so they can take advantage of the latest
features and hardware support available from our hardware partners.

We greatly appreciate the dedication and collaboration within the
company and with our community and customers to develop and deliver the
highest quality enterprise platform available today.

Sincerely,

The Red Hat Enterprise Linux Team

[1] All details of the Red Hat Enterprise Linux Life Cycle and release
schedules are available here:
https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata/

To read the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.9 press release with supporting
customer quote, please visit:
http://www.redhat.com/about/news/press-archive/2013/1/red-hat-announces-general-availability-of-red-hat-enterprise-linux-5-9

To access and download an evaluation copy for Red Hat Enterprise Linux
5.9, please visit: https://rhn.redhat.com/rhn/software/channels/All.do

Please note that this requires an active account on the Red Hat customer
portal, and the user must filter and navigate to Red Hat Enterprise
Linux 5 and the architecture of interest (e.g., x86_64, Power, System z,
etc.).

For access to the documentation for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.9
including the release notes, please visit:
https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/