[rhelv6-beta-list] Problems recreating RHEL6 repo under RHEL5

Simon Matter simon.matter at invoca.ch
Thu Apr 22 21:37:28 UTC 2010

> I'm trying to rebuild the rhel6 DVD repodata/ files on an
> rhel5 server which will eventually provide the files via HTTP.
>
> I've found that rhel6's Anaconda expects repodata/ to exist at
> the same level as Packages/, with the repo metadata pointing to
> filenames patterned like "Packages/<package>.rpm".
>
> rhel5 createrepo, on the other hand, places the repodata/ directory
> underneath the RPMS directory, and refers to packages as "<package>.rpm".
>
> Because of the differing naming convention, rhel6 Anaconda can't locate
> the RPM files referenced in the rhel5- generated repository.
>
> I've tried:
>
> createrepo -d -g ../old.repodata/<uuid>-comps-rhel6.xml Packages/
>
> 	and
>
> createrepo -d -o . -g ../old.repodata/<uuid>-comps-rhel6.xml Packages/
>
> Before I start down the path of upgrading to the latest Yum and
> createrepo, or wading through the Anaconda source, is there something
> obvious I'm missing?

Hi,

Doesn't it work like this?

- you put your rpms somewhere, like

/mnt/yum/test/ils-5/i386/Packages/

- now run

createrepo /mnt/yum/test/ils-5/i386

- find metadata here

/mnt/yum/test/ils-5/i386/repodata/

That's how I build my repos - and I remember that I was wondering once how
it's done. The -o options is not needed for it.

Regards,
Simon