[rhelv6-beta-list] No tui network setup on server install

Troy Dawson dawson at fnal.gov
Thu Jul 1 19:39:23 UTC 2010

Hello,
I guess I'll be the first to bring this up.

Doing a basic server install does not install Network Manager - that is
good.

It also does not install system-config-network - that is bad.

Looking at what rpm's are available, system-config-network isn't even
offered, it's gone - that is very very bad.

So, I look through the RHEL6 documentation, maybe they've replaced it
with something.  Yes, they replaced it with NetworkManger.
Although in the documentation for editing the configuration files it says
"The /etc/sysconfig/networking/ directory is used by the Network
Administration Tool (system-config-network) and its contents should not
  be edited manually."

So I think to myself, let's look in Fedora 13 to see what they changed
it to.  But behold, system-config-network is *in* Fedora 13.

I'm flabbergasted.  I'm totally stunned.
Is RHEL not supposed to be for servers first and desktops second?
Why would you purposefully make a sys-admins life harder by removing
their network configuration tool.

Troy