[rhelv6-beta-list] No tui network setup on server install

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 03:19:11 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 4:03 PM, John R. Dennison <jrd at gerdesas.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 02:39:23PM -0500, Troy Dawson wrote:
>>
>> I'm flabbergasted.  I'm totally stunned.
>
>        The removal of the legacy administrative tools was fairly well
>        documented.
>
>> Why would you purposefully make a sys-admins life harder by removing
>> their network configuration tool.
>
>        I'd be willing to place two bets here:  #1 - most admins use
>        their editor of choice to manipulate the network config files
>        and #2 - the majority of RHEL installs are automated via
>        kickstart.

One is supposed to use Networkmanager these days, which is a bulky,
unnecessary, and inappropriate tool for stable servers. Unfortunately,
neither the old tools nor the new tools properly support the
configuration of pair bonding, bridges, full reporting of the network
status of the libvirt port on 192.168.22.1, the manual configuration
of dhclient-eth*.conf with properly distributed DHCP hostnames and MAC
address based identifiers suitable for unsecured dynamic DNS
environments, nor a plethora of other subtle network setups. It
remains a bit of a black art.

DVD installations are useful for VMware and other virtualization based
installations where the sophisticated network devices are not part of
the kickstart kernel, and in those cases, the missing network
configuration can be considered somewhat awkward.

Mind you, I'd still like to have rude words with the idiot who thought
putting the hostname on the '127.0.0.1' line along with the localhost
addresses was a good idea. Put it in another line so it's easier to
edit and manage changes!!!!