[rhelv6-beta-list] No tui network setup on server install

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 20:00:55 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 5:45 AM, solarflow99 <solarflow99 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> No
>>>

>> You would get it only if system-config-network-tui was installed.
>
> That must come back, I can't do without that feature too.

I've found NetworkManager to be destabilizing for production systems.
I personally know how to reconfigure network scripts manually, but
it's not reasonable to expect from less expert admins, especially
because one typo can completely muck up your network connections.

Since NetworkManager doesn't seem to support configuration of
pair-bonding or bridging, nor correctly document and manage
DHCP_HOSTNAME and dhclient based DNS, and since RHEL dhclient tools
still misreport the DHCP published 'domain' as the 'search' option in
/etc/resolv.conf, and since there is therefore no way for a DHCP based
RedHat system to use multiple search domains, there's frankly no point
to NetworkManager in a production environment: you're going to have to
manage all of these manually, anyway.

So please, restore the small, simple tool more appropriately to
tightly managed servers.