[rhelv6-beta-list] why rhel-6 still not a good choice for a programmer

Luke S Crawford lsc at prgmr.com
Thu Jul 15 20:02:57 UTC 2010

"Bryan J. Smith" <b.j.smith at ieee.org> writes:

> In all cases, if you're going to virtualize, you're going to want to run
> your host as x86-64, out of sheer memory usage.  If you really need
> something 32-bit, then run it as a VM, and lobby the organization failing
> to release ports for x86-64, period.

The problem is that you want to make your virtualization control host
(what we called the Dom0 in xen) as small as possible.   A 64 bit
host, all other things being equal, will eat more ram.  The commercial
distribution of xen from citrix runs a 64-bit hypervisor, but it runs
a 32 bit dom0, to save on ram.  (It supports both 32 and 64 bit guests.)

Now, I don't think this (making the driver domain 32 bit and the
hypervisor 64 bit)  is possible under kvm because the driver domain
/is/ the hypervisor... I'm just saying, there /are/ cases where it
is benificial to run 32 bit.