[rhelv6-beta-list] When will Beta 2 for the powerpc be released.

Jon Stanley jonstanley at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 16:39:44 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 12:07 PM, Scott Dowdle <dowdle at montanalinux.org> wrote:

> I doubt Red Hat has much interest in keeping PowerPC as a supported platform in the upcoming RHEL6 rlease.  I believe they already dropped the Itanium.

PPC is not a viable workstation platform any longer. PPC of Server has
been released - see
http://ftp.redhat.com/redhat/rhel/beta/5.90Server/ppc64/iso/RHEL6.0-20100622.1-Server-ppc64-DVD1.iso

PPC on the server is still alive and well, there's a bunch of
installed base of IBM pSeries machines that people want to migrate off
of AIX, but that hardware is both performant, large (in terms of core
count, etc - check out a p590), and expensive, not to mention the
impact of the endianess of the arch. Linux on PPC provides a smoother
migration path for these apps.

I suspect by RHEL 7, with larger x86 systems starting to come into
their own now (Nehalem EX, Magny-Cours - who thought even a few years
ago that you'd be able to get 48 cores and 8 NUMA nodes into a 2U box
for ~$30K list?, Sandy Bridges whenever that comes out), the use case
on the server side will gradually diminish as well.