[rhelv6-beta-list] RHEL6 Mailserver packages

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Fri Jul 23 14:46:21 UTC 2010

Morten,

----- Original Message -----
> We are testing the newest RHEL6 Beta 2 for a Postfix cluster and i'm
> missing some packages like:
>
> amavisd-new, clamav, postgrey, sqlgrey, dkim-milter, dspam, pyzor,
> razor and so on
>
> These packages are available in Fedora 12 but not in RHEL6?
>
> Will Redhat provide these packages for RHEL6?

Wow.  I can't tell you how much your questions made me laugh.  Mind you, I'm not laughing AT you... I'm just laughing.

Those are good questions.  While I'm a big fan of Red Hat, I've known for years that RHEL simply is not a good email server platform... unless you drag a lot of packages in from the outside... which is what most of us do, right?  Fess up.  Who has done it?  Why is it we NEED to do that?

No, RHEL doesn't include clamav, etc.  Is Red Hat unaware that there are like... viruses... that people get in their email... that mostly affect one of those other families of Operating Systems?  I guess we should consider ourselves lucky that they do seem to be aware that there is spam and they do include spamassassin.  Thanks Red Hat!

I'm laughing because while I'm a big, enthusiastic supporter of Red Hat, they should be ashamed of their email packages because they are poorly lacking... which is why I was hoping they'd buy Zimbra from Yahoo... but alas, VMware bought Zimbra instead.  :(  It isn't like Zimbra is perfect but at least they have a reasonable set of packages that work together to provide the functions administrators and users want in an email server.

If anyone can think of a tactic, because I'm not fond of shame, that can get Red Hat to come up with a reasonable email package selection... please put it into place.  Is there anyone who thinks that it isn't broken?

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street