[rhelv6-beta-list] RHEL6 Mailserver packages

Ned Slider ned at unixmail.co.uk
Fri Jul 23 19:25:43 UTC 2010

On 23/07/10 16:29, Scott Dowdle wrote:
> Chris,

Given Red Hat's commitment to backport fixes to a stable package base,
would you really want to be running the same versions of amavisd-new,
clamav, postgrep etc in 7 years time? At best Red Hat might rebase to
current versions at each update set.

The anti-spam and virus game is a constantly moving target and to
achieve best results these packages ideally need to be maintained at
their current versions. This is not an area that is ideally suited to
the practice of backporting IMHO. Personally I still pull the latest
version of SpamAssassin from RPMforge even though it is included in
RHEL5. I suspect even if RHEL included amavisd-new, clamav, postgrep etc
I'd still be using 3rd party repo versions of those too.

So for me these packages add little value by being included in RHEL.