[rhelv6-beta-list] yum/rpm repackage and rollback

James Antill jantill at redhat.com
Mon Jun 14 06:20:53 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-06-13 at 12:05 +0100, John McNulty wrote:
> I've noticed that --repackage and --rollback have disappeared from rpm
> with rhelv6.  I assume this functionality is depreciated now?

 Yeh, the upstream changes and reasons can be seen here:

http://lists.rpm.org/pipermail/rpm-maint/2008-February/001906.html

> Repackage is still mentioned as a tsflags option in the yum.conf man
> page but I assume this is in error?

 Well, technically, all the yum bit did was set the flag
rpm.RPMTRANS_FLAG_REPACKAGE and it still does but that flag doesn't do
anything in the RHEL-6 rpm.
 I'll remove it from the man page though.

> Is there a replacement for this functionality, or are we now waiting
> for a mature btrfs implementation with yum snapshot integration?

 There are two replacements, both of which are much better, the best
(IMO) is yum history with undo/redo which is in the yum man page and on
the upstream Wiki at:

http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/YumHistory

...there is also the plugin "yum-plugin-fs-snapshot", which will work
with btrfs or LVM. The later didn't make beta1, but will be in beta2.

James Antill - james.antill at redhat.com
http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/whatsnew/3.2.28
http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/YumBenchmarks
http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/YumHistory