[rhelv6-beta-list] My first experiences with RHEL6 beta

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Jun 15 01:46:27 UTC 2010

Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> John Summerfield wrote:
>> When I do want swap, I usually want a swap file, not a
>> swap partition.  Swap files are more flexible, they can
>> be created and dispensed with at will.  Its a minor task
>> to add a swap file, provided only that disk space is
>> available. It's even easier to dispense with swap and
>> assign the recovered space to other tasks.
>
> Most of this argument is mitigated thanx to volume management
> (i.e., LVM).
>
> As far as swap file v. swap partition, that goes into the same
> category of filesystem free reservations, segmentation of
> filesystems, etc...  You are free to prefer what you wish, but
> "best common practices" of 40 years of POSIX/POSIX-like
> implementations tend to favor some sound reasons why we have
> such things as:
> - swap partitions
> - filesystem free reserevations
> - segmentation of filesystems
> - etc...
>
> And, again, liberal usage of LVM tends to make most arguments
> on the matter quite moot in "Enterprise" Linux.  My $0.02.

I would venture to suggest that most systems running Linux, especially
those with IA32 or AMD-64 CPUs, have a single disk. I cannot see that
LVM provides any benefit in such cases.

I used to use OS/2. If you check googlism.com you will find vestiges of
my reputation there. on OS/2, which never had swap partitions, the
recommend placement for swap is "the busiest partition on the least busy
drive."

The "least busy drive" needs no explanation, but people do tend to choke
on their weeties at "the busiest partition."

reflect a moment. At a random instant, where are the drive's heads
likely to be? I suggest over the latest read or write operation. Where
is that, usually? Someplace in the busiest partition.

It does not matter what OS you use, the above is true.

Now, with default partitioning on any Linux distro I have seen, where
the user chooses "one partition for everything," there are two partitions.

One for the data, covering almost all the drive.

One for the swap, either on the inside edge or the outside edge of the
disk, it makes little difference.

Now, I do not understand how Linux filesystems decide where on the disk
to create new files. Likely it either starts from one perimeter and
works across the drive (for simplicity, let's assume new disks like when
you've just formatted them, reusing space complicates matters) like
Windows does, or it allocates them in band like OS/2 with HPFS does.

Maybe it depends on which filesystem is used.

If it uses the first technique, there's an even chance that one's
initial files are as far as possible from the swap partition. Unless the
folk thought of this and designed their installers appropriately, but I
am not ready to assume they have.

If the technique is more like the second, then the situation is better,
but still any access to data ensures the heads are removed from the swap
partition by quite an amount, and any access to swap ensures the heads
are quite a distance from the next data to be read or written.

Enterprise systems, of course, are different. Enterprises can choose to
buy and install a Very Expensive Disk to support hi I/O traffic.

btdt. I worked at the Australian Dept of Social Security when it
implemented the original Medibank in the 1970s. We bought a Very
Expensive Computer system (IBM's finest at the time), and and Especially
Expensive Disk to hand hi I/O traffic.

Not SWAP/Paging though, the highest I/O load was the index for the
database. Surprised me;-)

But I'm not talking about enterprise systems.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait