[rhelv6-beta-list] My first experiences with RHEL6 beta

James Findley james.findley at trans-axion.net
Tue Jun 15 13:40:11 UTC 2010

On 06/15/2010 02:20 PM, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, James Findley<james.findley at trans-axion.net>  said:
>> There is a (small) overhead for using file-based storage as opposed to
>> volume based storage,
>
> The only differences is at "swapon", when the file blocks are mapped.
> Once that is done, performance is identical (because access is
> identical).

Not entirely.  swap files can be non-contiguous (and are moderately
likely to be so, if large) - swap volumes will only be so if you try
really hard to screw up your system.
There are filesystem overheads, too.
I'm not quite sure why you think access is identical - it's a very
different process to write N blocks to an on-disk file compared to
writing those N blocks to a swap partition.

You can argue back and forth how much real world difference they make,
but to say performance is identical is not correct.

-James