[rhelv6-beta-list] My first experiences with RHEL6 beta

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Jun 16 11:37:05 UTC 2010

Brobald Vincent (DTSBE) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the lvm world, you can simply do a pvcreate on your new disk, a
> vgextend to insert it in the volume group, a pvmove to migrate your
> datas, a pvremove to suppress you old disk, and then an lvresize -r to
> extend your logical volume and filesystem...
>
> Can be done online without any downtime (just an impact on
> performances).

I think you people are not listening. "That box" over there has space in
its case for precisely one disk. The HP DC7700 SFF I'm typing this on
accommodates two, provided that I don't have a floppy (I do not) or a
card reader (would be handy), and it has two.

If I replace the disk in "that box," probably I'd be replacing its 120
Gbyte drive with 1 Tb and not be in the least interested in retaining
the old one (with smartmon says reports errors, though the self-tests
come up clean). And since hotswap isn't supported, that feature isn't
relevant to me either.

--

Cheers
John