[rhelv6-beta-list] cyrus-imapd - missing or unsupported in RHEL6?

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Sun May 2 20:30:04 UTC 2010

On 05/02/2010 12:19 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>> Are there any plans to support cyrus-imapd in RHEL6? I'm surprised that
>> there is no such package in distribution repository.
>
> Given its dependencies and complexities of setup, why would you want
> it? Especially with the lightweight 'dovecot' in placE?

Most of the noise about CyrusImapd being complex to setup and manage is
legacy FUD. Its not harder or easier to setup than most comparable
systems. Have you ever tried to get a server side fulltext index going
on dovecot ? Compare that with the effort that goes into getting cyrus
imapd doing the same job.

Dont get me wrong, dovecot isnt bad. Its just not there yet, maybe
another few years if they retain the sort of traction they have at the
moment.

Leaving Cyrus out just seems silly.

- KB