[rhelv6-beta-list] kernel-release now appends the arch

Stephan Wiesand stephan.wiesand at desy.de
Mon May 3 17:51:09 UTC 2010

On Apr 30, 2010, at 23:31 , Ned Slider wrote:

> Stephan Wiesand wrote:
>>> <snip>

>>> kmodtool for building kABI-tracking kernel independent kmod (kernel module) packages? But that uses 'uname -r' too ;)
>>>
>>> Anyway, you don't need to be rebuilding modules against every kernel - build them once with kmodtool and be done with it. Or better still, put in an RFE request to a 3rd party repo like elrepo.org for the modules you require and let someone else maintain them for you.
>> Right track, for sure. Alas, none of the modules I'm dealing with is using whitelisted ABIs only.  And btw, some of them are even closed source, I can't help it.
>> - Stephan
>
> Right. Not much you can do about closed source, but wrt building modules that require symbols that aren't defined in the ABI whitelist, please see here:
>
> http://lists.elrepo.org/pipermail/elrepo-devel/2009-September/000056.html

I still fail to see how removing the dependencies will help with making sure that any system coming up after a kernel update has a working driver for all its devices. But maybe that's just me being blind. Anyway, that's a question I should ask on the elrepo list.

> Further, I've not had a chance to thoroughly test it yet, but I think the issue might now be fixed in RHEL6beta1.

Hmm, the only "fix" would be whitelisting the entire ABI, effectively freezing the kernel for the lifetime of EL6. Now, that's not what we want either, at a 40+ months release cycle.

- Stephan

--
Stephan Wiesand
DESY -DV-