[rhelv6-beta-list] kernel-release now appends the arch

Jon Masters jcm at redhat.com
Mon May 3 18:31:31 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-05-03 at 19:51 +0200, Stephan Wiesand wrote:
> On Apr 30, 2010, at 23:31 , Ned Slider wrote:
>
> > Stephan Wiesand wrote:

> >> Right track, for sure. Alas, none of the modules I'm dealing with is using whitelisted ABIs only.  And btw, some of them are even closed source, I can't help it.

In RHEL5, due to technical limitations within RPM (and yum too), we had
to confine the RPM dependencies on the kernel to specific symbol groups.
And in so doing, we could only list in a given group symbols that were
not likely to change and cause the entire group - which is a SHA1 hash
of the members of the group - to break the kernel deps.

I've been itching to "fix" this ever since and in RHEL6 the kernel
package now has individual deps for each of the kernel symbols. So
whether or not something is "whitelisted" by us as part of our internal
process of working with partners and driver developers you can now use
all of the symbols and rely on the packaging to prevent the installation
of incompatible drivers, rather than using the various kludges that are
floating around and which rely on symbols that are "grey" (not likely to
change, but they might, and then you'd have a problem).

In fact, in RHEL6 there will likely eventually (it exists, but some
other work is ongoing and I am wording this so as to not set an
expectation of a commitment pre-GA) be a yum plugin that will also
facilitate kABI by allowing you to request that only kABI conforming
drivers be installed. The whitelists will just be separate data that is
independent from the kernel package.

Although I'm tied up with lots of RHEL6 stuff at the moment, please do
feel free to email me about driver packaging with regard to RHEL6,
especially if you are a partner, but also if you are an end user,
developer, or other beta tester!

Jon.