[rhelv6-beta-list] Desktop won't hibernate or suspend

Cia Watson ciamarie at my180.net
Sat May 8 00:10:21 UTC 2010

I installed the rhel v6 beta desktop, and discovered that on the 'shut
down' menu there's no option to hibernate.

I noticed in the release notes it said:
9.2. Suspend and Resume
Suspend and resume is a current feature in Red Hat Enterprise Linux that
allows a machine to be placed into and out of a low power state. The new
kernel modesetting feature enables enhanced support for the suspend and
resume feature. Previously, graphics hardware was suspended and resumed
via userspace applications. In Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 Beta, this
functionality has moved into the kernel, providing a more reliable
mechanism for enabling low power mode.

I'm not clear what the kernel modesetting feature entails, but I thought
I'd try out the part of the Screensaver preferences under the 'Power
Management' section. When I selected an option under 'put computer to
sleep when inactive for:' (30 minutes for testing) I came back to
discover that it hadn't hibernated or suspended. When I un-blanked the
screen there was a message that said: Power manager: sleep problem. your
computer failed to hibernate. check the help file for common problems.
(Which help page?) Then there's a place to click 'Visit help page' but
it goes to a web site address with a 'page not found' error. Under that,
there was an identical message, except it said 'your computer failed to
suspend' instead of hibernate.

I'm dual-booting with Fedora 13 beta, and the same 'put computer to
sleep when inactive' option works just fine. And the shut-down menu has
a hibernate option which also works fine on my computer. Kernel:
PAE-2.6.33.3-79.fc13.i686

I found an mjmwired.net page that talks about basic power management
debugging, but I haven't looked at it thoroughly yet; since as far as I
can tell it's not an issue with my computer. Or is it? Is it something I
should file a bugzilla for ? If so, against the kernel, or ... ? What
details would I want to include?

I can also give specs on my system if that'll help.