Re: [rhelv6-beta-list] Any ideas about possible release date of RHEL6

[If you just need packages without the support, there are a few other
options]

On 05/11/2010 06:03 PM, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> Samba and several other components have been updated, first as concurrent
> tech previews, then concurrent release versions.  Python is more of an issue,
> because Python is at the basis of Red Hat support tools (including YUM itself),
> although one can still request a concurrent tech preview release in a different
> tree (not sure if that would be considered though, but it can't hurt to request).

Fedora EPEL has Python26 parallel installable package inherited from
Fedora 13 and built for EL5.

> If you're looking for more PHP and a "recent" LAMP , then one should really
> consider if EL is the best solution, and maybe consider Fedora with annual
> system rotation.  Another option might be to seek an independent software
> vendor (ISV) that maintains their own LAMP built in /opt, and keeps it more
> updated, for EL (among other distros).  I've seen that done as well, for those
> that really don't want to get away from EL's regression avoiding base, but need
> a more leading-edge LAMP stack (let alone when there might be more than
> one distribution involved).

One option here is http://iuscommunity.org/  which replaces EL packages
with updated versions.  It is complimentary to EPEL and maintained by
Rackspace folks.

Rahul