[rhelv6-beta-list] How can I do virt-install?

Justin Clift justin at salasaga.org
Tue May 18 16:44:53 UTC 2010

On 05/19/2010 12:00 AM, Paul Krizak wrote:
> I've opened a ticket with our TAM on this issue -- apparently there's a
> known issue with the beta that prevents you from running virt-install as
> root.

Interesting.  I've been using virt-install today both using sudo after
having su'd directly to root.  The main problem I get is libvirtd
segfaulting.  A lot.

It was working kind of ok earlier in the day with only a few luns (11 in
total) visible to the server.  However after hooking more (91 in total
now, each with 4 paths) libvirtd wouldn't even start up without segfaulting.

After manually installing a fair number of debuginfo packages about an
hour ago, intending on filing a proper bug report with abrt, it hasn't
crashed since.  (weird)

If it's any help, this is the working virt-install command I've been using:

# virt-install --connect=qemu:///system -r 512 --vcpus=1 --os-type=linux
--os-variant=rhel6 -l nfs:10.10.10.10:/export/rhel6/ --disk
path=/dev/mapper/vmlun1,cache=writeback --vnc --name rhel6test1 -x
"ks=http://10.10.10.10/kickstart/rhel6network.cfg"

In this setup (purely lab testing), there's a lighttpd server serving
the kickstart files, with the RHEL files being served over NFS from the
same box.

The kickstart file is a simple minimal install, with selinux and the
firewall disabled for initial easier lab testing:

#version=RHEL6
install
text
lang en_US.UTF-8
keyboard us
network --device eth0 --bootproto dhcp
rootpw "rhel6beta"
firewall --disabled
authconfig --enableshadow --passalgo=sha512 --enablefingerprint
selinux --disabled
timezone --utc Australia/Brisbane
bootloader --location=mbr --driveorder=vda --append=""
reboot

# Remove any existing partitions, let the installer create the new
# partition structure
clearpart --all --drives=vda --initlabel
ignoredisk --only-use=vda
autopart

%packages --nobase
@core
%end

# Post installation script
%post
echo "blacklist virtio_balloon" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
%end

The "--nobase" option has been added as per Dennis Marinus's
demonstration a few minutes ago, and the virtio_balloon driver is
blacklisted because RHEL6 vm's in RHEL6 otherwise hang for me during vm
boot.  (Bug #591784)

Is any of this stuff helpful?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift