[rhelv6-beta-list] SSH via key from RHEL5 to RHEL6?

Don Hoover dxh at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 1 17:02:07 UTC 2010

Ok..for some reason I have not having any luck using a ssh key to ssh as root from a RHEL5 box to a RHEL6 system.

Is there any gotchas?

I even generated a new ssh key on the RHEL6 box, copied the id_rsa file to the RHEL5 box, and added the public to the RHEL6 authorized_keys file and still the RHEL6 box will not allow the key.

debug2: input_userauth_request: try method publickey
debug1: temporarily_use_uid: 0/0 (e=0/0)
debug1: trying public key file /root/.ssh/authorized_keys
debug1: restore_uid: 0/0
debug1: temporarily_use_uid: 0/0 (e=0/0)
debug1: trying public key file /root/.ssh/authorized_keys2
debug1: restore_uid: 0/0
Failed publickey for root from 10.240.44.50 port 30803 ssh2
debug2: userauth_pubkey: authenticated 0 pkalg ssh-rsa
debug1: userauth-request for user root service ssh-connection method keyboard-interactive
debug1: attempt 2 failures 1