[rhelv6-beta-list] SSH via key from RHEL5 to RHEL6?

Edward Rudd erudd at netfor.com
Mon Nov 1 17:21:30 UTC 2010

This is usually the most common problem.

On Nov 1, 2010, at 13:02 , Don Hoover wrote:

> Ok..for some reason I have not having any luck using a ssh key to ssh as root from a RHEL5 box to a RHEL6 system.
>
> Is there any gotchas?

Did you check the file permissions on the .ssh and .ssh/authorized_keys?

Make sure they are not readable by "other" or "group"

ls -ld .ssh/
drwx------. 2 root root 4096 Oct 19 07:55 .ssh/
ls -ld .ssh/authorized_keys
-rw-------. 1 root root 1776 Oct 19 07:55 .ssh/authorized_keys

> I even generated a new ssh key on the RHEL6 box, copied the id_rsa file to the RHEL5 box, and added the public to the RHEL6 authorized_keys file and still the RHEL6 box will not allow the key.

You should probable NOT put the private key on the server you are sshing INTO.  the private key should really be only on the client.