[rhelv6-beta-list] tests

John Haxby jch at thehaxbys.co.uk
Thu Nov 4 16:23:47 UTC 2010

On 4 November 2010 16:10, Brian Long <brilong at cisco.com> wrote:

> In order to get away from hard-coding HW MAC addresses in the ifcfg-ethX
> files, udev generates a file in
> /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules the first time a machine boots.
>
> If you move hardware around or clone a VM, it's a good idea to remove
> that file and reboot.  I'm sure there's a better udev way to do it, but
> I'm not sure.

You can just edit that file, it's easy enough to remove old (dead) NICs and
re-name them as you see fit.  Note that HWADDR is still in
/etc/sysconfig/networkscripts/ifcfg-ethN so you'll need to update that as
well.  The HWADDR there is primarily for sanity checking the configuration
but I seem to recall it's used for something else as well.

jch