[rhelv6-beta-list] Wireless associates but cannot access internet

B.J. McClure webadmin at irapoa.org
Sun Nov 14 18:05:07 UTC 2010

On Sun, November 14, 2010 12:53, Marco Shaw wrote:
>>> Hardware is hp pavilion dv-6000 laptop that has previously run ubuntu
>>> with no wireless issues known.  I've posted some terminal output
>>> below but this seems to be a dns issue.  I can dig and get ip
>>> addresses.  I can ping by domain name successfully.  I can connect
>>> and load webpages by using ip address instead of domain name in the
>>> browser.
>
> This seems to be what everyone is missing?  When on *wireless*,
> everything seems to work from the command-line (from a terminal), but
> his *applications* aren't resolving properly (when he's connected
> wirelessly).

Someone suggested using google DNS server which I did (8.8.8.8) and
applications seem to resolve normally.  for a couple years this Netopia
3347-02-1022 has worked well with several versions of CentOS 5 and several
versions of Ubuntu.  For some reason there seems to be some
incompatability between RHEL 6 and the Netopia.  May not be relevant but
rsynching a large file breaks the connection and I have to do a service
network restart to get it back.

BJ