[rhelv6-beta-list] RHEL6 finish (~ date)

Eric.Conrad at Emulex.Com Eric.Conrad at Emulex.Com
Thu Oct 7 16:22:59 UTC 2010

What a lot of people don't realize is that there is an RTM date, but it's not public.  I have a hard deadline with some of my official testing with RHEL 6 because of that.  Hold tight, everyone.  It's coming...

Eric Conrad

-----Original Message-----
From: rhelv6-beta-list-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:rhelv6-beta-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Ljubomir Ljubojevic
Sent: Thursday, October 07, 2010 2:07 AM
To: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 (Santiago) Beta releases discussion mailing-list
Subject: Re: [rhelv6-beta-list] RHEL6 finish (~ date)

Not having PUBLIC Beta does not mean they do not work with some of their
   large customers to thoroughly test parts of code. And those that are
involved in testing all signed NDA.

Those two Betas were mostly published to get initial bugzilla reports,
and especially hardware related since they had done changes to the
kernel. And of course to show general direction where they are going,
and to get response from public and smaller customers.

But once they reproduce initial bugzilla reports they do not exactly
need us any more to fix them. every rpm spec file of every package has
detailed dependencies, so anyone can see what other packages will be
affected if they change a version on one package.

Also, do not forget that most of the packages are from Fedora, and most
of the bugs are already reported, but authors forced newer version
instead of fixing known bugs. So I do not see that earth is crumbling
because they do the work quietly, evading constant criticism of their
choice and decisions, when they already set their minds how they want to
proceed. Do not forget that all updates and upgrades they do between
major releases is also mostly out of sight, so why should major release
be any different?

If they set release date and then missed it for 2 months, how would you
react? You would be screaming bloody murder because they failed you, you
lost money or credibility, etc. But never the less, their product would
not be out until it is fully finished and they are satisfied with it.

There is one thing you are forgeting. They are a business, not public
asset. If they choose to discard 10%, or even 30% of their customers so
they can make 50% more revenue from the large customers, they ARE
ENTITLED to do so, no matter how it look to us.

And the last thing, but not least, all that testing you are referring to
is being done, just out of public eyes (in case of Red Hat). And since
they are not releasing anything new, nothing that was not already
published and used by other distributions, those who are tracking
development process of packages they are interested in are already ready
to implement what ever Red Hat releases, and they most likely already
tested it on Fedora and are prepared. And since software is not a
nuclear powerplant, any problems and bugs can be easily corrected
shortly after the release without destroying half of the planet.

Ljubomir Ljubojevic