[rhelv6-beta-list] How can I configure VNC to control the native X server in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 Beta2?

Jos Vos jos at xos.nl
Wed Sep 8 06:51:02 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 07, 2010 at 06:26:58PM -0700, Cia Watson wrote:

> Did you install a desktop, either gnome or kde? If not, and if you want
> to use the gnome desktop do a
> yum groupinstall "Gnome Desktop Environment" and/or
> yum groupinstall "X Window System" though since you've already done the
> Xorg -configure, this may be installed already.
>
> I'm guessing you're booting to a text login prompt? If you then want to
> get to a desktop after the above is installed you can just type 'startx'
> without quotes and that should bring you to a gui login. Have you
> created a user other than root? I don't believe you'd be able to log in
> to an X desktop with root, so you'll want to create a regular user, too.
>
> From my non-expert perspective, looking at the xorg.log you attached,
> it looks like it's loading the tigervnc modules, so once you get to a
> desktop you should see tigervnc as a menu option under >Applications
> >system tools I believe.

This is not really releated to what he/she was asking, AFAICS.  What the
original sender was asking is how to just load a "vnc" module in X, so
that a VNC server mode is automatically started every time the X server
runs (so also with the login screen etc.).  In the past, you could just
load "vnc" in the "Module" section and add "PasswordFile" and
"Alwaysshared" (for example) to the "Screen" section and it worked.

--
--    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>