[rhelv6-beta-list] Migration to el6 from el5 preserve /home

Grant Williamson traxtopel at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 17:58:59 UTC 2010

  All,
     I am wondering if anybody has a solution for the following problem.

We have a number of machines which have been formatted with just a single
file system. Does anyone have a script or tool which can convert a single file
system into different partitions based on directory.

i.e.
/ 100 gb

convert from / 100gb to
/boot 500mb (format)
/         40gb    (format)
/home 65gb   (preserve data on disk)

Probably a tall order, but I am wonder without backing data up if there is such a tool.
So a migration from el5 to el6 could easily take place.