[rhelv6-beta-list] This is what I'm talking about -- WAS: RHEL6 finish (~ date)

Gerald Pfeifer gerald at pfeifer.com
Fri Sep 24 09:55:29 UTC 2010

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010, Bryan J Smith wrote:
> EGCS offered all sorts of release compatibility.  GNU liked it so much,
> Cygnus was given the go-ahead to design the new object model for GCC 3
> using the EGCS lineage.

That's not the way GCC (or egcs) has been operating.  If someone wants
to propose a contribution she is welcome; there is/was no explicit go-
ahead from whoever GNU may refer to, though.  Most of the new C++ ABI
has been implemented by CodeSourcery.

> The EGCS 1.1.2 lineage became GCC 2.91

There never was an official GCC release 2.91.  GCC 2.95 was the first
after the egcs/gcc -> GCC merge.  GCC 3.0 was next.

> The benefit today is that Red Hat's C++ object compatibility goes all
> the way back to that release.

GCC 3.3 and 3.4 have C++ ABI changes, not sure what you are referring to
here?

> ???  GCC 2.91.66 worked fine in Red Hat Linux 7 for existing EGCS C++ code.

Because it _was_ egcs. :-)

> XFS (only SGI officially supported, until recently Red Hat too)

SUSE has been supporting XFS for more than half a dozen years.

Gerald