[rhelv6-beta-list] off to a slow start: was: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Beta Now Available - Testers Wanted

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 22 06:24:39 UTC 2013

On Sat, Dec 21, 2013 at 10:16 PM, Bryan J Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 21, 2013 at 8:13 PM, inode0 <inode0 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I can live with any collaboration arrangement that is open to all with
>> knowledge and the inclination to share it with others.
>
> Red Hat provides a great number of those collaboration avenues, as do
> others in the open source world.  It doesn't have to have Red Hat(R)
> on it to see Red Hat behind it.  I think people forget how much Red
> Hat developers, associates and others are heavily involved in these
> efforts, many as their paid job functions.  There many avenues of
> collaboration and interaction without a dime going to Red Hat, but
> still involving Red Hat engineering and efforts.

It isn't about a dime going to Red Hat. I was a subscriber before the
portal walled off information. Whether the information is walled off
or not I will be a Red Hat subscriber for the reasons I gave below.
I'm just a less happy Red Hat customer now because having information
walled off in the portal sucks for Red Hat customers. It sucks for
those who aren't Red Hat customers too. It sucks for everyone. So I
choose to use and encourage others to use open collaboration
opportunities in preference to the portal since those are better for
everyone. I also choose to encourage Red Hat to make the portal an
open collaboration site.

>> My primary objection to the portal is not in the execution of it which
>> might merit awards (or might not, that is all rather subjective
>> anyway). My objection to it is that it puts up walls hindering the
>> sharing and dissemination of knowledge to everyone. That is not The
>> Open Source Way.
>> To get wonderful, maintainable software nicely packaged with timely
>> updates and help resolving bugs.
>
> ... snip a bunch of nice marketing and other stuff having nothing to do with the state of the portal ...

John