[rhelv6-beta-list] RHEL 7 - NetworkManager Hates Me

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 16:31:32 UTC 2014

On 13 January 2014 08:45, Brian Wheeler <bdwheele at indiana.edu> wrote:

>  Is it just me or is basically impossible to manage networks using nmcli?
> I've not been able to find any documentation that helps.
>
> Here's what I've got --  My site is pretty traditional:  static IPs,
> default gateways, and alias addresses.  On RHEL6 I'd just use the
> ifcfg-eth0 and ifcfg-eth0:0 style of managing it, but in RHEL 7 that
> doesn't seem to work and I keep getting duplicate interfaces that are
> configured but not active, the route disappears on reboot, and I can't add
> and remove aliases as needed without bringing down the entire interface.
>
> Does anyone know of a good resource for dealing with NetworkManager for
> this style of configuration?  The RHEL 7 Networking guide isn't terribly
> helpful because it seems like >90% is wifi, teaming, vpn, bridging,  and
> how to use the gui -- none of which are applicable to my use case (but I do
> recognize their importance)
>
> Between nmcli and firewall-cmd it is almost like I've been sucked back in
> time to the days when I was an AIX admin where you had to use the tools to
> maintain active/configured settings and you couldn't just edit the config
> files.

Do not worry. It hates everyone with the malevolence of a million demons
being made to tell the truth.

So what are you needing on this? 2 Ip addresses off of one physical
adapter? Could you send what you have tried or used in the past so I can
see what might be needed to be different?

--
Stephen J Smoogen.