[rhelv6-beta-list] RHEL 7 - NetworkManager Hates Me

RDH Robert.Houk at Oracle.COM
Mon Jan 13 18:50:39 UTC 2014

Stephen John Smoogen writes:
> On 13 January 2014 08:45, Brian Wheeler <bdwheele at indiana.edu> wrote:
>
> >  Is it just me or is basically impossible to manage networks using nmcli?
> > I've not been able to find any documentation that helps.
> >
> > Here's what I've got --  My site is pretty traditional:  static IPs,
> > default gateways, and alias addresses.  On RHEL6 I'd just use the
> > ifcfg-eth0 and ifcfg-eth0:0 style of managing it, but in RHEL 7 that
> > doesn't seem to work and I keep getting duplicate interfaces that are
> > configured but not active, the route disappears on reboot, and I can't add
> > and remove aliases as needed without bringing down the entire interface.
> >
> > Does anyone know of a good resource for dealing with NetworkManager for
> > this style of configuration?  The RHEL 7 Networking guide isn't terribly
> > helpful because it seems like >90% is wifi, teaming, vpn, bridging,  and
> > how to use the gui -- none of which are applicable to my use case (but I do
> > recognize their importance)
> >
> > Between nmcli and firewall-cmd it is almost like I've been sucked back in
> > time to the days when I was an AIX admin where you had to use the tools to
> > maintain active/configured settings and you couldn't just edit the config
> > files.
> >

> Do not worry. It hates everyone with the malevolence of a million demons
> being made to tell the truth.
>
> So what are you needing on this? 2 Ip addresses off of one physical
> adapter? Could you send what you have tried or used in the past so I can
> see what might be needed to be different?

What I have done/to do in Fedora is basically kill NetworkMangler
and fall back on the old network service (I think I've remembered
the right command spelling):

  systemctl stop NetworkManager.service
  systemctl disable NetworkManager.service
  systemctl enable network.service		# probably already enabled
  systemctl start network.service		# probably already started

and edit all the old standby config files

  /etc/sysconfig/network			# default route
  /etc/hostname					# from /etc/sysconfig/network
  /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*
  /etc/resolv.conf

(and maybe /etc/nsswitch.conf, depending on your site)

This is PURE STATIC config, **NO** DHCP on any network port. (DHCP
also likes to dynamically mangle config files)

You've done all this?  I haven't played much with  RHEL7 yet, I'm
still trying to figure out how to specify focus follows mouse in
that damnable GNOMEish abortion.  I wonder if I can download a
MATE from Fedora???

					-RDH