[rhelv6-list] MAYDAY ... very strange network breakdown/freeze with new servers and RH EL 6 x86_64

Götz Reinicke - IT-Koordinator goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de
Thu Dec 16 09:07:35 UTC 2010

Good morning,

yesterday I got two identical new servers for running RH EL 6.

I did a basic installation with all defaults to the software selection,
the disk setup (LVM, ext4,...). After registration, I did an yum update.

The current kernel is 2.6.32-71.7.1.el6.x86_64.

The onboard LAN is 2 x 1 GBit/s Intel 82574L

The servers Tech spec can be seen here:
https://www.thomas-krenn.com/de/server-systeme/technisches-datenblatt/frame.only_content/key.6957.html

At installationtime I set the lan configuration to DHCP and changed it
later with the system-config-network tool to static IP and DNS/gateway
settings.

Now I'm faced with the problem, that the LAN connection freezes after a
couple of minutes and I cant restart the network service. And there are
a lot off errors and dropped packages/frames.

I checked/configured both interfaces in both servers (eth0 and eth1),
one at a time.

I reinstalled one server, thinking that may be something was broken
during installation. I checked the install dvd.

I attached a screenshot I grabbed from my remote KVM console to show the
ifconfig output.

Maybe it is an unsupported nic? Or known bug? or something else?

Any hint and help is very welcome! Best Regards

	*<:-) . Götz

--
Götz Reinicke
IT-Koordinator

Tel. +49 7141 969 420
Fax  +49 7141 969 55 420
E-Mail goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de

Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg GmbH
Akademiehof 10
71638 Ludwigsburg
www.filmakademie.de

Eintragung Amtsgericht Stuttgart HRB 205016
Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrats:
Prof. Dr. Claudia Hübner

Geschäftsführer:
Prof. Thomas Schadt