[rhelv6-list] Fun with new RHEL

Ben bda20 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Nov 11 17:02:44 UTC 2010

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010, Chris Adams wrote:

> So, what "interesting" things are people finding in the new release?  I
> never had time to play around with the betas that much (didn't even try a
> kickstart), so maybe these are known things.
>
> - Installation numbers are gone.

That was a welcome surprise to me.

> - Default "server" install gets postfix instead of sendmail (don't see
>  any mention of this in the release notes).  That's probably just fine
>  for most people (I'm a sendmail guy, so I'll just add it to my
>  kickstarts), but changing one of the few daemons that is started by
>  default should be mentioned IMHO.

Agreed.  And they've got rid of exim too, for no readily apparent reason.

> [...]
> - Looking at the Red Hat site, the new pricing info has lowered the
>  allowed guests for the base server product from 4 to 1 (for the same
>  price).  Not cool.  Guess I'll keep my dev server host OS on RHEL 5.

This could be a total showstopper for us with regard to virtualisation
platforms.  However I've yet to see how the academic (UK) pricing will work
out.

In addition, I've noticed the following things:

- On Workstation 32-bit at least, a kdump error message came up during
   firstboot telling me that there wasn't enough memory to initialise it.
   And then presented me with the kdump config screen with kdump
   ticked but everything greyed out.  I didn't want kdump enabled anyway, but
   it was a tad confusing as to whether it was enabled or not.

- Setting up konsole under KDE so that it always starts at 80x24 (or
   whatever you prefer) should not be this hard.  Having to do "Special
   Window Settings" (KWin) to "Apply Initially" the geometry you want is
   very much not 'ease of use'.

- Selecting "Restart Computer" from KDE sometimes causes the box to hang and
   stop sending a signal to the video card rather than restarting.

More (interesting ones) as I find them.

Ben
         Life Is Short.          It's All Good.