[rhelv6-list] rhel6 xenU on rhel5.5 domU - no console

Rich Graves rgraves at carleton.edu
Fri Nov 12 21:35:10 UTC 2010

> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.32-71.el6.i686 ro .... console=hvc0

Yes, that does it. I had tried nothing (the default per virt-install/anaconda) and xvc0.

So I can now watch the automatic reboot process after it crashes during live migration... which it does most of the time.

To be fair, one dom0 is running 2.6.18-194.26.1.el5xen and the other 2.6.18-194.11.1.el5xen. But rhel4 and rhel5 guests live-migrate fine.

Hmm, this time, when going from .11.1 to .26.1, I see that the rhel6 xen guest is running, but:

1) xm console displays a random 1% of the lines coming out the VNC console, but appears not to accept any input
2) Can do DNS lookups (answered, and tcpdump on xenbr0 can see them)
3) Can not send any tcp or icmp packets (ping and nc by IP address hang, tcpdump sees nothing)
4) service iptables restart hangs at "Unloading modules:" (but a virtual Alt-F2 shows that they're not loaded)

Looks quite unwell to me. Looks like I'll wait and see and migrate the existing rhel4/5 xenU's to a rhel6 kvm host when ready, rather than put new rhel6 services on the existing rhel5 xen dom0's.

Hey, tcpdump -n just showed some nc and icmp packets that should have been sent 5 minutes ago.