[rhelv6-list] system-config-netboot-cmd package not available for RHEL6?

Dan Burkland dburklan at NMDP.ORG
Mon Nov 15 20:48:12 UTC 2010

On Nov 15, 2010, at 11:53 AM, Phil Meyer wrote:

On 11/14/2010 02:13 PM, Dan Burkland wrote:
Hello all,

I may have missed this when the beta was going on however I am wondering if there has been any plans for Red Hat to include the system-config-netboot-cmd package in the RHEL6 release?

Thanks,

Dan

We have spent a lot of time figuring this out.

Basically, dracut is much more flexible than previous boot support methods.

The procedure now goes like this:

Build the base system like before.  We now use a Virtual Machine for this.

Be sure to install dracut-network:
   # yum install dracut-network

Then build a new initrd:
   # cd /boot
   # dracut initrd.img `uname -r`

copy the new initrd.img and the kernel to your tftp server.

copy the base image to your NFS server.

remove/edit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifconfig-eth0
edit /etc/fstab
edit /etc/sysconfig/network

All done for pure diskless.

However, to do a shared root, it gets more complicated.

edit /etc/sysconfig/readonly-root

This is the first complication.  There is more than one way to
accomplish this.  In order to use the old 'snapshot' style mounts, we
did it this way:

# cat /etc/sysconfig/readonly-root
# Set to 'yes' to mount the system filesystems read-only.
READONLY=yes
# Set to 'yes' to mount various temporary state as either tmpfs
# or on the block device labelled RW_LABEL. Implied by READONLY
TEMPORARY_STATE=no
# Place to put a tmpfs for temporary scratch writable space
RW_MOUNT=/var/lib/stateless/writable
# Label on local filesystem which can be used for temporary scratch space
RW_LABEL=stateless-rw
# Options to use for temporary mount
RW_OPTIONS=
# Label for partition with persistent data
STATE_LABEL=stateless-state
# Where to mount to the persistent data
STATE_MOUNT=/var/lib/stateless/state
# Options to use for peristent mount
STATE_OPTIONS=
# set CLIENTSTATE
CLIENTSTATE=<NFS_SERVER>:/RHEL_6_NFS/snapshot

CLIENTSTATE is used in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit if set.
A reading of that file is recommended.

Next, you need to specify the unique files list in /etc/statetab

That should do it.

You can pretty much rsync any changes to the VM down to the nfsroot if
you exclude the following types of stuff:

# cat /root/excludes
etc/statetab
etc/hosts
etc/sysconfig/network
etc/sysconfig/readonly-root
etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
etc/modprobe.d/bonding.conf

Good Luck!

Thanks for the informative reply.

I am really only concerned about the removal of system-config-netboot because I used the pxeos tool to setup our tftp server for an upcoming kickstart build for a designated host. I'm guessing now this will have to be done manually.

Regards,

Dan