[rhelv6-list] Best filesystem to store virtual machine disks on RHEL6

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Thu Nov 18 18:15:17 UTC 2010

On 11/18/2010 09:55 AM, carlopmart wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  I have installed RHEL6 Server on my laptop to run several virtual
> machines. Which filesystem is best to store virtual machine disks in
> terms of performance: xfs, gfs2 or ext4?
>
>  I prefer to use qemu img disks instead lvm volumes to simplify backup
> procedures.
>
>  Thanks.

Are you storing your KVM guest file systems local to your laptop?  The
mention of GFS2 threw me.

I can tell you from very extensive testing, that the very best network
based disk performance is from iscsi, vs GFS2 or NFS.

On my desktop I use btrfs for my home directory, and ext4 for everything
else.  There is negligible difference in performance from a VM with its
disk image on ext4 or on btrfs.