[rhelv6-list] [HOWTO] Running Xen 4.0 dom0 (host) on RHEL6

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 18:01:58 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 9:43 AM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 09:13, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik at iki.fi> wrote:

>> There has been talks about EPEL.
>>
>> Fedora developer Michael Young has been building xen dom0 capable kernel rpms
>> for a long time now..
>>
>> http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/myoung/dom0-kernel/
>
> Currently the rules for EPEL are that it would not replace any
> packages in the mainline. Since the kernel would be a later kernel
> from 2.6.32 it would most likely replace it. Even if we found a way,
> we need to find someone who would want to maintain it. Maintain for 7
> years...

It is possible to make it independent of the RHEL kernel. One such
example is ELRepo's mainline stable kernel from kernel.org:

http://elrepo.org/tiki/kernel-ml

"The packages are intentionally named kernel-ml so as not to conflict
with the RHEL-5 kernels and, as such, they may be installed and
updated alongside the regular kernel. The kernel configuration is
based upon a default RHEL-5 configuration with added functionality
enabled as appropriate."

[Please note that kernel-ml is not intended for production use.]

Akemi